Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Perseus and the Pleiades with a Sony RX100

A friend of mine asked me to try taking some pictures of the night sky with my Sony RX100 as he was thinking of purchasing the camera himself. On the 9th January when I was also making some variable star observations I took this image of the sky with this camera:-

My settings were as follows: aperture f/1.8, shutter speed 15s, 35mm equivalent focal length 28mm, ISO 1600, white balance auto, manual exposure and colour space Adobe RGB. The main features are the constellation of Perseus (upper centre) and the Pleiades star cluster (lower right). Also the constellation of Auriga is poking into the picture at the bottom (centre left).

I don't think the camera has done too badly. I had to rely on autofocus as I hadn't looked up how to do it manually, but I think it is possible. The star images are a bit distorted into triangle shapes as you go to the edges of the frame but at f/1.8 this is probably to be expected. I reckon you can see stars down to about 9th magnitude. I have also marked a few other objects (mostly star clusters - click on the image to get a better view) that can be seen but it is good to see the galaxy M33 appear near the edge of the frame at the top right. I think the California Nebula was probably a bit of wishful thinking but I thought I could see a bit of red colouration.

All text and images © Duncan Hale-Sutton 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment