Wednesday, July 22, 2026

The Wizard Nebula (NGC 7380 and Sh2-142)

Last night (the 21st July) was one of those really nice still summer evenings when, with a bit of clear weather, you get a glorious view of the Milky Way. This is because, when it finally gets dark enough about 11.30 BST, Cygnus, through which the Milky Way travels, is quite high up in the south. I was quite pleased to see a number of nebulous patches low over our hedge which were possibly exciting objects like the Lagoon Nebula or the Eagle Nebula. I will have to get round to cutting some of the elder to get a better view! In the end I didn't have much time before it clouded over but I had a go at something at a much higher altitude and this was what has been called the Wizard Nebula in Cepheus. The moon was at first quarter but was low in the south west. This is what I obtained after 152x15s (38 minutes) of observation:-

The first frame was taken at 23:45 BST and the last at 00:31 on the 22nd. The duo-band filter was employed and the gain was set to 60. Auto parameters were used in Stellar Studio. I have increased the saturation and brightness of the image in Photoshop and binned it x2 (please click on the image to see a full-size view). Here is a close-up of the nebula and star cluster in the centre of the frame:-

NGC 7380 actually refers to the young open star cluster that sits above the nebula in this image. The stars in this loose cluster formed between 4 and 11 million years ago and have emerged from the dust and gas that is surrounding them. The nebulosity is referred to as Sh2-142 in Sharpless's catalogue. The red colour comes from ionized hydrogen and most of the ionizing radiation comes from DH Cephei - a close pair of massive O-type stars. The cluster is about 8,500 light-years from us in the Perseus arm of the Milky Way. I suppose it gets its name of the wizard nebula because there is what looks like a wizard's pointed hat in the lower centre of the image and I guess his arms (with long sleeves) are stretched out either side whilst he creates an explosion of colour in the middle! Who knows!

All text and images © Duncan Hale-Sutton 2026 

No comments:

Post a Comment